April 13, 2022
Is Becoming a B2B Influencer Worth it?
Cofounder of Newsworthy.ai
Influencer marketing works, which explains its exploding growth, growing to 16.4 billion in 2022. Businesses are making $5.2 ROI for every $1 spent on influencer marketing. There has been a 465% increase in searches for the phrase "influencer marketing" on Google alone since 2016 (1).
B2C influencer marketing is made up of influencers who primarily use Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube to reach directly to individual consumers. Products they promote usually fall under the categories of lifestyle, fashion, beauty, entertainment, and health & fitness.
B2B influencers tend to use Linkedin, Twitter, and YouTube but their influence isn’t limited to social media. Many B2B influencers communicate with their followers via blogs, newsletters, and podcasts. A typical product category B2B influencers promote is software and hardware but it can be any product category — the difference is that B2B marketers are targeting a specific individual or small group of individuals within a business.
Are You a B2B Influencer?
“We need to fundamentally rethink reach. While it is impressive to be able to show big “reach” numbers to your client or management team, reaching the right 5–10 people is almost always more valuable.” — David McInnis, founder of Newsworthy.ai
The social influencer arena isn’t only for celebrities and those with hundreds of thousands or millions of ‘followers.’ At Newsworthy.ai, we champion nano and micro-influencers. In fact, we consider you an influencer if you can answer yes to any one of these questions: :
- Do you have an active blog or social media account?
- Have you posted content within the last few weeks?
- Do you engage with other people’s content?
The fact is, everyone has a center of influence. Think about all of the people that you are personally connected to online. You may not command the attention of millions, but your influence is significant because it is close and targeted.
Influencer marketers are broken down into four primary categories:
- Mega: Think Joe Rogan and other A-list and B-list celebrities.
- Macro: 100,000 — one million followers. Broad influence.
- Micro: 1,000–100,000 followers. Niche industry/topic influence.
- Nano: Less than 1,000 followers. Community influence.
It‘s essential to familiarize yourself with these categories so that you can better position, price, and market your services.
Is It Worth Becoming a Micro or Nano B2B Influencer?
Well, yes. Why not? Two main reasons:
- You’re already posting and sharing content online so why not get paid for what you are already doing naturally, as a part of your daily routine? Get paid for sharing company news on social media or mentioning a company in a blog, podcast, or newsletter. You decide what kind of channel you will use.
- Marketing yourself as a B2B influencer allows you to expand your network and meet new people/businesses that can turn into more lucrative engagements. Maybe you’re a writer, consultant, or podcast host. Charging clients a nominal fee to share their company news on social allows you to begin a relationship that can turn into a more significant engagement.
I’m In! Where Do I Begin?
There are many influencer marketing platforms you can join. You don’t have to pick just one. Explore some and see what’s right for you.
That said, one of the easiest platforms to join is the Influencer Marketing platform of Newsworthy.ai.
Here are a few reasons why:
- Newsworthy’s focus is sharing company news releases, which means it’s super easy to fulfill requests — a great way to get acclimated to influencer marketing and avoid long drawn-out negotiations over campaigns, deliverables, and compensation structure.
- It’s free to join and you are never charged any fees — if you offer to share a company’s news on Linkedin for $50, you get paid $50.
- Registering is simple and you don’t need to connect any social channels. You simply add a short bio, select categories that describe your influence, and then add some things you’ll do and the price you’ll charge.
- Get paid immediately after you complete the task.
Example: Here are the two services I’m offering in the Newsworthy.ai influencer marketplace. Note: I intentionally price my services low in order to network and meet new people/companies. And I enjoy sharing news from start-ups and interesting companies — takes me a few minutes:
Importance of ‘Alignment’
With influencer marketing, alignment is critical. You (the influencer) should be aligned with the news the business is wanting to promote. On Newsworthy.ai, it’s simple. When a business searches for influencers to help amplify their news, they’re presented with a list of influencers whose influence matches the categories that they assigned to their news release. Example:
Here at Newsworthy.ai, we’ve done the behind-the-scenes work to make finding your influencer marketing gigs a snap. If you are an influencer — likely you are — Newsworth.ai is an easy and risk-free place to start accepting new influencer gigs. It is easy to sign up — with no cost to you — ever. Just register, add a short bio, select a few categories that define your influence, and add the services you’ll offer. Register today!